Autarkic cooling: Petromax passive Cool Boxes: For more independence on your trips into nature. Food and drinks can be preserved for days on end using commercially available ice cubes, cold packs or dry ice (please follow the manufacturer's instructions). There is no need at all for electricity or a generator. Get an overview and put together the right Cool Boxes for you.
Which Cool Box is the best?
A good Cool Box should provide you with years of loyal service. You should, therefore, consider carefully which Cool Box you buy, for the choice is wide and ranges from cheap compromises to premium products. We help you find the best Cool Box for you.
Here are three tips for you:
- Which Cool Box is best depends entirely on what you want to do and the type of cooling system you need for your adventure. If you value a self-sufficient and energy-independent cooling option, then a passive cooling system is the right choice for you. The Petromax kx Cool Box series has achieved impressive results in numerous product tests, especially in the categories stability and cooling duration of ice. If you follow the instructions, you can keep ice cold in a Petromax Cool Box for up to 12 days.
- However, it is not just the way the cooling system works that matters, it is also how adaptable it is to your needs. Petromax Cool Boxes are available in three colours with a volume of 25 l, 50 l or 75 l We also offer plenty of accessories for Petromax Cool Boxes, allowing you to put together your own individual passive cooling system.
- In addition to cooling, transportability and additional features are also important. Petromax Cool Boxes are equipped with lashing points so you can be sure that they will be a quiet companion even on bumpy rides. Four rubber feet on the bottom of the Cool Box ensure a firm stand and allow air circulation from below. Ergonomic carrying handles on the sides ease transport and can also be used as belt guides. What is more, the Cool Boxes are so robustly built that you can easily use them as a platform if you ever want to get a better view. They also work well as a resting place and together with an Adhesive Pad or Seat Cushion offer a non-slip and comfortable sitting position. In addition, thanks to their clear-edged design, the Cool Boxes stack well and can be stowed in the hold or below deck. You can combine the reinforced locking plates with a standard U-lock to secure your provisions even better. A Lock Bracket is also available for the Cool Box, which prevents your Cool Box from being stolen.
Cool Box criteria
Petromax Cool Boxes
• Self-sufficient, environmentally friendly
• Ice, dry ice and cold packs
• Up to 12 days
• Single-handed operation thanks to non-slip rubber fasteners
Cool Box accessories and combinations:
• Adhesive Pad, Seat Cushion, Lock Bracket, Locking Plate with Bottle Opener, Dry Rack Baskets
• Can also be used as a seating and standing surface thanks to its robust design
Which Cool Box for camping?
Camping is becoming more and more popular. Whether at the campsite or out in the open: suitable cooling of provisions is indispensable.
For a variety of reasons, many camping fans are deliberately looking for a practical, electricity-free cooling alternative. The Petromax Cool Box is ideal for this purpose. The passive cooling system independently preserves food and drinks for days and keeps them fresh for consumption.
How does a Cool Box work without electricity and what is a Passive Cool Box?
A non-electric cooling alternative is environmentally friendly and often underestimated in terms of cooling intensity and duration. We show you how the Petromax Passive Cool Box works and why you can rely on it.
A Passive Cool Box is used with ice, cold packs or dry ice. This type of cooling system ensures the preservation of your food and beverages – without external energy, operating noise and failure-prone electrics.
Essentially, there are two important considerations: Design and insulation layer. As with a house, it makes a difference whether the walls are narrow or thick and whether they have thin or thick insulation. The right ratio ensures that the temperature inside is as stable as possible over time. This is exactly where the design of the ultra-passive Petromax Cool Box comes in:
The body of the Petromax Cool Box is made of robust polyethylene. All components are double-walled, cast in one piece and feature a uniform wall thickness. The heart of kx Cool Boxes is the insulating layer. The pressure-induced PU foam penetrates every cavity, no matter how small, and together with the double-walled body forms the effective cold wall.
The high-performance insulating foam has a low thermal conductivity and an impressive thickness of at least 45 mm. This helps the Petromax Cool Box to keep ice chilled for up to 12 days and the inside temperature constant for days. With this strong helper you are well-equipped for independent cooling.
Here are a few tips on how to use the Cool Box:
- Cool down the Cool Box in a cold room (e.g. cellar) or with ice before use.
- Only fill with pre-cooled drinks and food.
- Use large blocks of ice if possible.
- Always place dry ice (follow manufacturer's instructions), cold packs or ice on top. Remember that cold sinks to the bottom.
- Only open box if really necessary.
- When travelling, store the box in a cool, shady place and avoid direct sunlight.
- Store and transport upright.
How big should a Cool Box be?
How much you can actually fit into a Cool Box depends very much on what food and drinks you want to store. The volume data thus serves as initial guidance. To give you a better idea of the capacity of our Cool Boxes, we also give the casn-ice and bottle-ice ratios. This information serves as rough guidance only.
With a passive cooling system, you should always allow enough space for the coolant. This varies depending on the choice of coolant.
The Petromax Cool Box has a significantly larger outer dimension compared to the filling capacity. This is due to the double-walled cavity insulation. This is necessary so that your chilled food and beverages remain surrounded by low temperatures for a long time. This is also an important consideration when choosing the right Cool Box size.
Basically, the same principle applies when choosing the right Cool Box size as when choosing the right Dutch Oven size: More volume offers more possibilities. If in doubt, go for the next size up, because you will either fill up unused space with ice and increase your cooling time, or you will have extra space if your next adventure turns into a longer one.
Accessories for your Cool Box