Homemade Spelt Bread |The Petromax Recipe
Not only is spelt a healthy but also a well tolerated alternative to wheat. Combined with high-fibre rye it will, however, not only be healthy but also delicious. This spelt-rye bread has the master baker’s taste. In this recipe we show you how you sucessfully bake this spelt-rye bread in the Dutch Oven.
- 470 mL water (warm)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cube yeast
- 600 g spelt flour 630
- 250 g spelt flour 1050
- 100 g rye flour of wholemeal
- 75 g leaven
- 20 g malt powder
- 30 g butter
- 20 g salt
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 100 mL of water and let rest for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the flour types, leaven, water and malt and knead everything together with the yeast for about 5 minutes. Slowly add butter while kneading.
3. Add some salt and knead the dough for another 5 minutes. Afterwards, cover the dough and let rest for 90 minutes. Knead once again after 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, heat up the Dutch Oven to have it hot when the dough shall be ready for baking, using 30 briquettes (10 below and 20 on top).
5. After forming a round loaf, let it rest for another 60 minutes in a floured mould (colander with towel or fermenting basket).
6. Now carefully place the risen dough in the Dutch Oven (no more kneading) and let bake for about 50 minutes. Check after approx. 45 minutes. When hearing a hollow sound upon tapping, the bread is done.
|Number of briquettes:||30|
|Briquettes on top:||20|
|Number of persons:||4 People|
|Level of difficulty:||Medium|