Rye Bread with Double Crust | The Petromax Recipe
Baking bread is a challenge? – No, it is not! We tell you about our recipe from the old days so that you no longer want to go to the bakery. By traditional old German recipe, you prepare your new favourite bread with extra crust in a few steps. We show you how you bake a fresh Rye Bread with Double Crust with simple ingredients in your Dutch Oven.
1. Blend and knead all ingredients into a dough. The dough should not be too runny, therefore, only add a little water at a time and only as much as needed.
2. On a floured surface, form a loaf, put aside and let rise to double in size.
3. Preheat the Dutch Oven with 30 briquettes (20 on the lid 10 underneath the pot), place the loaf inside and bake for 40 minutes with closed lid until a crust has formed.
4. Now, reduce top heat and remove half the briquettes from the lid. Let the bread bake for another 60 minutes. When upon tapping you can hear a hollow sound the bread is done.
- 600 g rye flour
- 300 g wheat flour
- 300 g leaven (liquid)
- 3 tsp. bread spices (anise, fennel, caraway, coriander)
- 3 level tsp. salt
- 500 ml water
|Number of briquettes:||30|
|Briquettes on top:||20|
|Number of persons:||4 People|
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||100 minutes|