Sauerkraut Waffles | The Petromax Recipe
Everyone is familiar with sweet waffles, but how about the savoury variety? With sauerkraut and bacon you can transform this popular dessert into a hearty snack for in between times. We’ll show you how to make this hearty waffle snack with the Petromax waffle iron in just 15 minutes.
For the dough:
- 400 g wheat flour
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 40 ml milk
- 125 g cheese (grated)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 125 g diced bacon (to taste)
For the topping:
- 1 can of pickled white cabbage (sauerkraut)
- Put the dough ingredients in a bowl and mix into a viscous dough.
- Thoroughly preheat the open waffle iron in the fire. Then remove it from the fire and brush well with butter.
- Now pour the dough into the bottom half of the waffle iron, fold the halves together and fasten with the hook (note: do not fill too full with the dough, as it rises during cooking!).
- Cook the waffles in the fire for approximately 5 minutes.
- Take the waffles out of the waffle iron and place the sauerkraut between them as if you were making a sandwich.
Tip: You could prepare the dough in advance and take it with you to your outside kitchen. As an option, another 125 g of diced bacon can be added to the dough.
|Number of persons:||4 People|
|Level of difficulty:||Easy|